filmscanners: Histogram continued

Ed,

first congrats on that superfast implementation.
I repeat: You are my Scanner Hero.

Now for some comments:

It is the biggest histogram i have seen ever!!!! nothing bad with that.
It shows effectively the clipping and distribution when manipulating wp, Bp,
gamma etc. just press Prev Mem and results appear.
I like also the rgb graph.

So far so good.
My personal desire was to have the decision about the WP, BP and gamma
settings easier and more repeatable. to achieve this i  whish more visual
and analytic feedback and numerical consistency. The histogram surely helps
(on the analytic part)
To make the histogram really effective in that sense i would add "some"
things and make some changes:

1. The histogram should be complemented by a measuring tool indicating on
the preview at mousepoint the values of rgb in 8 and/or 16 bit numbers, both
raw and corrected output. This helps to decide at what value and in what
part of the image you are going to clip the image. Which is what is was all
about.

2. An input for BP, WP and gamma  in the SAME units/numbers as the measuring
tool (for each of the 3 rgb channels?!). Sliders are not really necessary.

3. I dont feel the histogram for scan is necessary since you can set the
precision of the histogram by changing the preview res up to the same res as
the scan., if you need to. Also the histogram is just usefull to help making
the settings for the definitive scan. I never really use the Scan window,
because i continue in photoshop after scanning. In fact i would like an
option to output to window at preview but not at scan.

4. About ease of use and the interface: Histogram and measurement info at
mouse point would be better off together in a draggable pop-up window, which
you could place on your other monitor or wherever. Settings/Input of numbers
should stay where they are: In the colortab.
Like this it is possible to use the measurement tool, change the settings,
then check the result by pushing the preview mem button, watching the
preview and checking out the resulting histogram and image simultaneously.
(Wow....that would be almost heaven)

I dont think this is really something for an image editing tool. BP and WP
and the decision what to keep or dump is part of a scanning tool i think. If
not we could skip it all and  just make raw scans to correct in Photoshop or
whatever. However doing these settings at the scanning stage will save work
to do,  especially when scanning series of images with the same lighting and
film.

that's it for now. Am i getting greedy?  <:-))) ***

jan albrecht
+

***(Well, of course i would wish more: custom definable, savable multipoint
rgb gamma curves so you can perfectionate to your liking the scan for each
type of film/image combination, or even "worse" custom savable 3d look-up
tables to setup for each film and of course that 10000 dpi Howtek
drumscanner........dreaming is for free)