Re: filmscanners: Prime Film Scanner1800u

I downloaded several "full size" but JPEGED samples from the first link
below.

I looked at them in Photoshop under magnification.  They seem fairly
highly jpeged (they are blocky as is typical of jpeg compression).  One
image, at 1990 x 1602 pixels is only 411kb in size, the other at 2386 x
1638 pixels is only 1.1 meg, so obviously they have been heavily compressed.

Even so, the 1.1 meg image doesn't look too bad.  Shadows are blocked
up, but, I see no banding or color fringing, as I have on the HP
Photosmart scans.  I'd even suggest the resolution (at 1800 dpi) might
be sharper than the HP model.  Color rendition is pretty good also,
although without the original it is hard to say for sure.

I have seen scans from the Primescan 1800 directly from the scanner, and
I was impressed (relative to the cost of the scanner).  I cannot speak
for the software, interfacing, speed or anything else.

If the person is only making drug store prints anyway, which usually are
about 200 dpi, I would say the Primescan is an adequate scanner fro 4 x
6" or a bit larger prints.

I also read the comments from the second link, and obviously the people
who reviewed it didn't think much of it.  Could be a mixture of
expectations and variation in quality of the units coming off the line.
This is often a problem with lower/middle end products

Art

markthomasz@ozemail.com.au wrote:

> Like Art, I can't comment on how easily it sets up on a Mac, but here are 2
>sites about it.  I suggest visiting both, because they express rather
>different views..!
>
> http://twcny.rr.com/technofile/texts/tec081901.html
>
> http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2295735-404-6525926.html
>

> My guess would be if your client:
> - uses the Zone System and knows the difference between Velvia and Sensia,
>s/he won't like it much..
> - is after nothing more than 7" x 5" prints, and accepts that some images
>will not scan well, eg underexposed slides, they'll love it!
>
> :-)
>
> mark t
>

>>From: DaleH <dhoff@margnat.com>
>>Subject: filmscanners: Prime Film Scanner1800u
>>I'm trying to get a client started in scanning film instead of
>>drugstore snapshots and wondered if anyone had anything to say about
>>the Prime 1800u film scanner costing under $200 at CompUSA?
>>It would be used on a Mac. I don't want to get them involved in buggy
>>driver or other compatibility issues.
>>DaleH
>>

> .

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.