Re: filmscanners: Canon's flash metering

Alex Zabrovsky [alexz@zoran.co.il] wrote on Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:11:13 +0200

>First of all, I'm still confused how exactly both work, what is exact
>differences between them,

The difference is one works and one doesn't.

A-TTL is pants, unless you have a certain camera and the wind is blowing
from the right direction.

E-TTL works.

(the real difference is E-TTL uses a preflash just before exposure to set
the flash output, just like Nikon, A-TTL uses a kind of infra red
preflash during exposure measurement and then normal flash TTL metering
during exposure to set flash output.)

>I've heard A-TTL flash measurements are linked to the active AF sensor
>for given exposure, so can handle well off-center subjects (of course if
>focused properly). Is that correct ?

Sometimes, depending on the camera.

FEL works best for off centre (EOS 3, IV)

--
David Gordon
mail@davidgordon.co.uk

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.