From: Bernhard Ess [mailto:albatros.bee@web.de]
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2001 11:56 AM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: how to clean film?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tomasz Zakrzewski" <tomzakrz@ka.onet.pl>

> I almost decided to but Microtek ArtixScan 4000T ($ 850 with SilverFast)
> over the Nikon 4000ED (twice that price) because I don't want to have
> constant problems with DOF. But I suppose that slides like these old ones
> can be a real challenge form me to scan it.
> Scratches and normal amount of dust can be rid of without much problem but
> I'd be a little unsure about fingerprints on the emulsion side.

Well if all 200 slides are scratched and you have to retouch them, you will
damn the scanner, the table where it stands on, the house thats built around
If time doesn´t matter, do it, but if you want to finish that before 2006,
you´d be better off with ICE.  How big do you want to print them anyway?

But don´t forget: Today I compared a scanned slide with and wihtout ICE -
ICE causes a visible, in some negatives (maybe grainy ones) very visible
loss in sharpness and also in detail.

I have also compared a 4000dpi scan (Nikon 4000) and the print made out of
it (11x14inch) to the one made from my own 2.900 LS40 scan/ print. Both had
different (!!!) regions of the image clearly out of focus, but the general
impression was not better from the 4000dpi scan/print. Maybe if you´d look
with a 7x magnifying glass, maybe... But in real live no difference in my
opinion, or only *very* little.

In 2.800-2.900 class you have the new Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II with ICE,
good density range at a lower price than the Nikon LS-40. No depth of field
problems related

Just an idea...

Bernhard

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.