Re: filmscanners: I'm being pulled to OS X - mixed os mode experience

On 12/7/01 11:15 AM, Wayne Williams <wayne_williams@mac.com>, wrote:

>through my work in video and mac's evolving software i am being pulled in
>the direction of os x.  does any one have experience with running os X for
>some applications and os 9.2 for scanning / photoshop.  i'm using a nikon
>ls4000 ed and epson 1280.

That's the same as my setup (LS4000ED/1280/OS X/OS 9.2).

I've been experimenting with OS X but doing all of my real work on OS
9.2.  Much as I want Apple to succeed with OS X, I cannot recommend the
current version as the foundation for a business or professional user.
There are still too many unpolished and unfinished pieces.  The most
significant issue is maintenance and backup.  There is no way to repair a
damaged OS X system, short of wiping your disk clean, reformatting, and
reinstalling everything.  Some people try to cope with this by creating
separate partitions for OS X, OS 9, apps, docs, etc., but that introduces
other potential problems.  And it is not clear that there is any reliable
way to do a complete backup and restore of an OS X Mac.  Dantz have not
released a compatible version of Retrospect because they are waiting for
Apple to add certain needed features to the OS.  So if your installation
goes south, you might be able to restore data files from a backup, but
you might need to reinstall and reconfigure all your apps individually.

I also have some gripes about the user interface design of OS X - I find
that some simple tasks seem to take less time in OS 9.  Maybe there are
some new tricks I need to learn.  AppleScript support is still limited.
But hopefully these issues, and the maintenance/backup problem, will
shake out in the next few months.

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.