RE: filmscanners: 35mm film versus medium-format scan quality (Epson 2450)

Hi Bernhard,

I believe I've heard that some Nikons can have focusing problems.

Just as an FYI, you CAN get an equally as "detailed" scan out of a 2700DPI
scanner as with a 4000DPI scanner, depending on where things "line up".
Digital acquisition devices capture UP TO (be careful how you read this,
it's tricky) between a little more than 1/2 the resolution of the
device...up to the resolution of the device.  If you need me to 'spalin that
one more, I can...I know it's not necessarily easy to understand.
Basically, if the detail lines up perfectly with the grid of the sensor,
you'll get it at the resolution of the scanner, but if it falls "off grid",
contrast will be lowered...  Basically, it's a "Nyquist" issue...

Regards,

Austin

> Austin,
> The image shows a grave at the cemetery with lots of fallen leafs
> and trees,
> an almost incredible amount of finest detail, shot with an efke 25 b&w neg
> film and a Konica Hexar with very sharp lens at f8 - I was
> surprised myself,
> but I conclude that a) the guy doesn´t know how to use his
> scanner (would be
> strange) b) the Nikon doesn´t give consistently sharp results or c) the
> extra 1100dpi is not as essential as some may make us believe.
> I think its a mixture of b) and c)
>
> Greetings bernhard

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.