Re: filmscanners: Polaroid Insight vs. Silverfast AI vs. Vuescan

Ian, thanks for the info on the new SilverFast user manual.  I knew they were working on it but I'm surprised that it was released so quickly.  Is it any good?  Will it put you out of business??

For what it's worth, I made a series of tables showing what settings to use with SilverFast.  They were based on your tutorials.  For example, three tables show the settings to use when scanning negative film (with SilverFast NegaFix) with SilverFast Ai in the 48-bit mode, for SilverFast Ai in the 24-bit mode, and for SilverFast HDR (48-bit files).  I made three more similar tables for use when scanning transparency film.  It's a lot easier and less error prone for me to refer to the tables for the settings when doing a scan rather than digging through your tutorials each time to figure out what settings to use.  It would be nice if the new SilverFast documentation included such tables, or at least a well organized description of what settings to use.  (I haven't had time to check the new documentation yet.)  If the documentation doesn't do that, you might consider adding a tutorial that summarizes the settings as I've described as I fi! nd such a summary very beneficial.