Re: filmscanners: Re clogged nozzle fixed

Glad to hear the suggestions worked.  I've not used Fantastik, as I
believe it has some lye (Sodium Hydroxide) in it, which makes me a
little nervous, especially if there are any aluminum components in the
heads.  The alcohol/ammoniated window cleaner mix has worked well for
me, but I am not using the same inkset as you are.

Regarding trying to use the unit more often to avoid clogs... Although
this can help, the problem you likely encountered (based upon your
longer description at an earlier date) indicates to me two scenarios.

1) All Epson printers suffer from an accumulation of ink on the
periphery of the nozzle holes over time, and this builds up over time,
becoming progressively worse as more build-up develops.  This build up
will cause either narrowing of the nozzle hole, (which often causes
deflections of the ink so they do not go straight down onto the paper),
or clogs, when they eventually simply build right over the nozzle holes.

2) The amount of residual ink build-up, based upon your discussion
indicates to me the inkset you are using isn't as forgiving, probably
due to it being slightly more viscose or due to the extra solid
particles that the dyes do not have.  This probably means you will have
to clean the underside of the head using the procedure you suggested in
your message, a bit more often than if you had dye based inks.

As long as you are gentle, this type of cleaning shouldn't cause you any
difficulties.

Art

Berry Ives wrote:

 > Thanks to the several people who sent tips on cleaning the clogged
nozzle of
 > my 1160 which is using Generations Micro-Bright pigment inks.  I had a
 > single nozzle continuing to fail the nozzle check after many standard
Epson
 > (menu driven) cleanings.
 >
 > What worked for me (finally!) was to repeat about five times the
following:

 > 1.  unplug the printer while the head is in the left hand side cartridge
 > changing position
 >
 > 2.  spray a paper towel with Fantastik until rather damp and roll it
up into
 > a tube about a half inch in diameter
 >
 > 3.  place the towel down into the trough over which the head passes
 >
 > 4.  manually move the head across the width of the towel and back
 >
 > 5.  remove the towel and repeat with a new towel
 >
 > Most of the ink that ended up on the towel appeared as black, with a few
 > spots of colors here and there.  Even the last towel was really dirty, so
 > maybe I should have continued a few more times, but it passed the nozzle
 > check so I quit.
 >
 > For information, I had gone through many periods where I was not printing
 > anything for a week or two, maybe longer.  I think I will now try to put
 > something through it at least weekly.  Still, I wonder how long it will
 > continue to be clog free.
 >
 > Thanks again.
 >

 > .

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.