Re: filmscanners: Correction for daylight slides with artificial light

In a message dated 12/2/2001 5:59:41 PM EST, mjteixeira@yahoo.com writes:

> Anybody knows some kind of "filter" to apply during scanning or in Photoshop
>  that parcially corrects for greenish color of daylight slides taken with
>  artificial light? (I would like to recover a slide collection that I made
>  almost thirty years ago in the assyrian rooms of the British Museum)

An interesting paper that talks about this is on:

  http://foto.chemie.unibas.ch/research/paper1/restor.html

The main thing is that each film dye seems to fade differently
over time, resulting in a hard to correct color cast.  The
simplest thing that recovers the color cast is a gamma
adjustment that's different for each color.

VueScan's "Filter|Restore fading" option does this
automatically.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

P.S. I visited the Assyrian rooms at the British Museum
about six months ago.  It's facinating that cuniform has been
translated, using the Behistun inscriptions.  The Rosetta
stone is in a room near the Assyrian rooms too.

Interesting notes about the Behistun inscriptions are on:

  http://www.livius.org/be-bm/behistun/behistun01.html
  http://www.andypryke.com/pub/CuneiformWriting

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.