Re: filmscanners: SS120: Reflections on edge of neg

Most solvents, and things like markers tend to melt the plastic leaving
a relatively glossy result.

I would suggest people needing to create a non-reflective surface on
most plastics should use some 3M "wet or dry" " silicone carbide paper.
   This stuff is gray black in color usually, is sold in all hardware,
auto body supply and paint and plastic fabricating stores, and comes is
"grit" sizes between about 200 all the way up to several thousand.  The
larger the number, the smaller (finer) the grit, and the less deep the
scratches. I'd suggest about a 500 to 700 grit to dull the surface
without removing or scratching much of the plastic.

If that isn't rough enough, try 360 to 400 grit.  You need very small
pieces of the sheet to do minor sanding.  So a quarter sheet would be
plenty big enough, since the stuff is more costly than sandpaper (a few
bucks a full sheet, depending upon grit size).

Art

Hemingway, David J wrote:

  > I was thinking of trying a Qtip dipped in acetone and run it along
the two
  > vertical edges.
  > David

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.