filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Scanning large quantities of slides...

Ron wrote:
> I'm being transferred into the tropics, and I don't really want
> to carry my slide collection into that kind of environment...

Probably a good idea.  Some of mine have been badly damaged by mould and
I live in a sub-tropical area.  A friend of mine went to great lengths to
make a cooled cabinet for his films.

> I'm looking at acquiring a slide scanner to do this job...and
> I don't have an unlimited budget...  It's all 35mm, no APS.
> It's a mix of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and Fujichrome...  I don't
> want to do them one at a time, and yet I'm not sure I can afford
> the cost of the bulk loader with the Nikon 4000ED or some
> equivalent...  I know I will need some form of help with the
> dust/scratches (ICE or FARE, or something else?)... Not on all,
> but certainly on the older ones...  However, the older ones are
> Kodachrome, which I understand isn't helped much...

Speed is the problem.  My LS30 is quite fast, and the LS2000 should be as
well.  You might be able to pick up a second hand LS2000 with the slide
feeder, although it had a reputation for jamming.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to put the best ones on PhotoCD.

Unfortunately the SS4000 is quite slow with no hardware dust and scratch
removal, and the Acer even slower especially when using ICE.  AFAIK the
holders for the Canon 2710 have to be set for each slide so it would be
slow to use as well.  The Nikon slide feeder is the only option I can think
of for batch scanning large numbers of slides.  If you really need the 4000dpi
and 14bit dynamic range of the LS4000, you'll probably have to find the
money.  But if the 2700dpi and 12 bits of the LS2000 is enough, a second
hand or refurb unit would be worth looking into.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.