RE: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 problems - negs

Dave

The section was taken from a full 6x9 scan at 4000dpi (about 248mb); the
sample section was about 16-17mb and I jpeged the file for the web. So it
was only a small portion of the overall image but still looks pretty bad. I
compared images scanned via photoCD and microtek scanner and they do not
have the same 'white noise'. The guy from Polaroid seems to also think there
is a problem.

I also thought it could be grain but a variety of films showed the same
problem; the only way I will really solve this is to scan like for like
using another sp120 - which I will do tomorrow. I hope it is the scanner and
that I can get another - otherwise this is a very poor scanner. The 'noise'
is quite visible in prints larger than 10x8 - and this should not be the
case - I have outputted to lambda from a microtek at 30x40 inch with no
visible grain / noise etc. This scanner should be able to do the same.

But we will see tomorrow!

craig

Craig Auckland | Photographer

Tel:            +44 (0)7930 337 226
Fax:            +44 (0)7931 607 428
Email:  craig@aucklandphotographer.co.uk
Portfolio:      www.aucklandphotographer.co.uk
providing images of the built environment