RE: filmscanners: switching of nikonscan colour management

Jawad--

I was just working with this tonight and would give different advice
if using slides.  The thing to do is:

(1) Turn off CMS

(2) Select the appropriate film type

(3)  scan a Kodak Q60 calibration target (Ektachrome or Kodachrome
depending on the film type of your slides).

(4) Create a profile based upon that scan.

(5) Then scan one of your slides.

(6) Then apply the profile to it.

The result of turning CMS off is that you get raw data with no
profile telling Photoshop how to interpret that data.  If you just
randomly assign a profile to your scan (monitor, sRGB, Wide Gamut,
etc.) you may by chance get colors you like; but it's just by chance.
But the profile YOU create from an actual scan of an appropriate test
target tells Photoshop accurately, truly and consistently how to
correctly interpret the data from any scans from the film type you
profiled.

--Bill

--

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill_sub@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com