Re: filmscanners: flatbed scanners

Ian--

Some random thoughts:

o In general, a cheap scanner will give you cheap results no matter
what its specs.

o What's good enough for 35mm depends entirely on your needs.

o A scanner that truly does give you a real 2400 dpi, AND a true
bit-depth of say 36 bits, AND actually does pull a lot of detail out
of the shadows, AND has very little shadow noise can give you similar
results to what you'd get from a reasonable 2400 dpi  filmscanner.
The Agfa T2500 at $3,500 is such a flatbed.

o On the other hand you can get the $1,000 ScanMaker 8700 which is
only rated at 1200 dpi but does a fine job producing web-size images,
and can be used for decent 8 x 10 prints if your negative/slide isn't
too difficult and your quality needs are not too demanding.

o However if you want to make big, fine art prints from 35mm
originals I highly doubt that you'd get satisfactory scans from any
flatbed that isn't way out of your price range.

o So what are your needs?

--Bill

--

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill_sub@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com