Re: filmscanners: Nikon LS40ED - first impressions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric" <biology@ucla.edu>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Nikon LS40ED - first impressions

www.nikon-imaging.com

> I got my Nikon Coolscan LS-IV yesterday but have not installed it yet
since
> I have a small problem with my video card or something...

Funny, everybody´s got his LS- 40 yesterday or today: we got ours at work
yesterday, I have it at home for the first days to check if everything´s
allright.

I agree that its a nice machine, a very capable midrange film scanner, and
very fast: scanning single slides is a joy, very easy and reliable.

Unfortunately film grain seems to show up quite strong, as far as I
understand this is due to the LED light source, compared to the ..???... one
of Minolta and Polaroid. The LED makes that the Nikons are basically
capable, but have very small depth of field sharpness and accentuate grain
and dust more that the more diffuse light sources of the other  scanners.
This makes ICE on Nikon more necessary than on Pola or Minolta.. My first 20
or 30 scans seem to affirm this.

Bernhard

P.S.: The LS- 40 is a bit noisy while scanning!

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.