Re: filmscanners: Best solution for HD and images

on 11/13/01 1:01 AM, Austin Franklin at darkroom@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>>> The standard PCI bus is 33 MHz (or 66MHz), NOT 133MHz.  Perhaps you mean
>>> 132M BYTES/sec?  Even at that, you can't get near %80 of that, if you're
>>> lucky.  132M bytes/sec is the burst rate.  There is substantial
>> overhead on
>>> the PCI bus that lowers that substantially.
>>>
>> Actually, he did not say "standard", and the current PCI standard _is_ 133
>> MHz. 33 MHz is ancient technology, 66 MHz is antique technology,
>> 100 MHz is
>> yesterday's news, and 133 MHz is the current defacto PCI standard.
>
> Er, no.  The PCI bus is ONLY spec'd for 33Mhz, and 66Mhz, and 66MHz is
> hardly ancient, as it's only in the past year that 66MHz slots have been
> readily available on PCs.
>
> It is PCI-X that is spec'd for higher speeds, currently 66/100MHz, and no
> one has any 133MHz operation as far as I know.  The last time I looked, no
> current system boards (from say Tyan, ASUS etc.) are available that support
> PCI-X.  Also, the last time I looked at the Adaptec web site, they did NOT
> have a PCI-X RAID card (or even a controller chip) available...that's how
> "ancient" the technology is!

I stand corrected on the label of the bus, seeing as I was intending a
generic answer to a generic statement. Check out the IWill XP-333-R
motherboard sporting an SiS735 chipset:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q4/011008/index.html
or
http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_hardware_00034.asp
or
http://www.iwill.com.tw/xp333/page_about.htm

Front side bus speeds are 333 (not PCI) on the IWill, and the hard drive
controller is ATA133, not SCSI. As such, I conceed the name of the standard
PCI bus.

> The Adaptec 29160 is certainly NOT PCI-X anyway, it is ONLY 64 bit/32 bit
> PCI compatible.  That is what card was referenced above, and what was being
> referred to.  The PCI-X product lines from Adaptec will be Ultra 320 at this
> point, and I'd say they are about a year away.
>
> And, yes, (I don't mean to sound obnoxious) I also know PCI very, very well
> too.

Funny, it seems like I was sounding obnoxious in return. It must be
contagious!

;-)

Jim Snyder

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.