Re: filmscanners: creating correction curves from scanned calibration chart?

Hey there,

There is a problem here, and that is your assumption that the 18% grey would
be at RGB 117/117/117. RGB is a totally device specific colour space and so
you are completely at the mercy of the video card and monitor and
resolution. The correct value for mid grey would be... whatever the RGB
value you have measured off your monitor that matches mid grey. if you
change your monitor/card/resolution you have to re-measure. If you are under
different lighting - you have to re-measure.

Basically - the only way to do this successfully is to get one of those
monitor measuring devices and profile your monitor, and calibrating your
workflow.

I worked on the front end to Agfa Colourtune a while ago and thus worked
with the colour scientists a lot. I remember one guy saying to me that
somebody had published the RGB values for mid-grey and how this was crazy.
Stuck in my head.

Regards
Ned