RE: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: grain in negs/slides

> Tomasz wrote:
> > Why do scans of color negatives appear grainier
> > than those from slides?
>
> From what I've read on this list, it's related to the exposure latitude
> of colour negs.  To get greater latitude, the grain in neg film varies in
> size much more than in slide film.  The very narrow exposure latitude of
> slide film results in more consistent grain.

It could also be that slide film isn't as sharp as negative film (in my
experience) simply because it has to undergo two developments, and that
would "soften" the edges of the grain?  Purely speculation on my part...

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.