Re: filmscanners: neg conversion

Tomasz Zakrzewski wrote:

> Since I'm still a filmscanning theoretician :-) I have a basic question
> about the conversion of negatives that is made by VueScan or SilverFast, for
> example.
> Negatives have different qualities, some render blues with slight magenta
> cast, some give you a little reddish flash tones (Fuji), some have lower
> saturation, etc.
> Are all those qualities preserved during the conversion to positive image
> and can I still recognize those characteristics of a particular emulsion or
> do I get only "averaged" results?
>
> Regards
>
> Tomasz Zakrzewski
> www.zakrzewski.art.pl

        I'm also still a "theoretical" scanner, at least until my ss4000 comes
in... It seems to me that one of the best things about scanning negs is
the ability to get rid of the color problems that are inherent in any
film. If someone wants to have a certain "look" they could easily add it
to a "neutral" image. It would seem to me that the aim of any scanning
software would be to render as neutral an image as possible, why live
with film shortcoming when you don't have to?

Isaac

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.