filmscanners: grain in negs/slides

Why do scans of color negatives appear grainier than those from slides?
I have always read and experienced myself that color negs are less grainy,
especially in high ISO emulsions and that in slides everything above ISO 100
shows pronounced grain (ok - naow we have Provia 400F).
But from what you write and from my first set of scanned negs and slides I
conclude that negs really show more grain that slides. What's the reason for
this phenomenon?
BTW the pronounced grain from my negs I don't consider intrusive in any way.
I'm just curious what's so peculiar in film structures that different
effects are achieved although both types of film use dye clouds.

Regards

Tomasz Zakrzewski

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.