filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: 2700ppi a limiting factor in sharpness?

Roger wrote:
> It sounds like you want to know how much money you
> should spend on lenses (and maybe what brand) in
> order to get decent scans.

Better scans, yes.  The scans I get now are "decent" enough for me, but
they could be better.  All these terms are relative. :)

> The best 35mm lens will have trouble making a really
> good 11x14.  The print size limit for 35 mm lenses is
> therefore somewhere in that range, i.e., at least 8x10
> but not much over 11x14.

See above about "relative". :)  I believe you absolutely as far as a "really
good" print from the point of view of a Pro photographer.  But for instance
I have a 30"x20" photographic print (as opposed to inkjet) at home which
everyone raves about.  It was printed in 1981 from ordinary Kodak 100ASA
colour negative film, and taken with a Voigtlander 35mm rangefinder camera
dating from about 1950.  But I take your point.

> It's the lens quality of a poor lens that would show up in a scan.

Or other factors like aperture, camera shake etc.

> You don't need to buy a Lieca lens in order to get
> quality.  Check out www.photodo.com for unbiased
> lens test data.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that some Pentax lenses rated very well
on that site.  I thought I might have to change cameras to get a better
lens.

> Rob, plan on spending a moderate amount of money on lenses (you
> don't need the most expensive, simply stay away from the cheap
> ones).  Check out www.photodo.com before you buy a given lens.

Makes sense.

> Shoot the lens under optimum conditions.

If only that were always possible! My photos taken from ultralights are
under pretty challenging conditions - no chance of a tripod, vibration and
wind buffeting, hand held... but at least the bright conditions make a high
shutter speed possible! :)  Again, I take your point.

> Don't spend your money on a lens based on the
> brand name.

Good advice - there seems to be a lot of variations in lenses.

> Plan on buying a 4000ppi scanner someday.

By the time I can afford it maybe they'll be 6000ppi. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rob

PS Thanks to others who have responded with their experiences of scanning
and what impact the lens used has had.

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.