Re: filmscanners: Canon 4000 ppi film scanner

I think the new Canon arrived on the scene at the wrong time, amidst new
product from Nikon, which always gets more press, and a few early
reports which for some reason were less than flattering.  The first
reports I read stated the FARE defect reduction system was a bust.  Yet
more recently, the reports have indicated it is on par with the newer
dICE.

More recent reports have been more positive.  Perhaps there have been
some software improvements, or the first reports were corrupted for some
reason.

The price is very reasonable if you are looking at under $800 US. Of
course, if you can find one, the SS4000 might be a worthwhile
consideration, if the price is right.  Here in Canada it is still
considerably more than in the US.  I don't know how it is priced in
Australia, but if it comes close to US pricing, it is an absolute steal.

Art

markthomasz@ozemail.com.au wrote:

 > Puzzles me too.  Maybe everyone has been put off by the references to
initial poor quality control.  But what scanner doesn't suffer from
this? (OK David, except maybe Polaroid!)

 > But much to my surprise, my local (regional Australia) electrical
appliance retailer, who also sells package PC deals, has just put one
onto his shelf at A$1499 (A$=~US$.51)..?!?  I thought I was the only
local who even knew what a filmscanner was :-\..

 > He's agreed to set it all up, and tomorrow I'll be taking some
testing slides and neg's over to see what it can do..

 > If anyone's interested I'll report back, but it will only be a
lightweight test.  Unless of course I end up buying it.. :-)

 > mt

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.