Re: filmscanners: Pixels per inch vs DPI

From: Austin Franklin <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
> I didn't leave anything out...it doesn't matter WHAT size pixel, a
pixel is
> but a single value of tonality, period.  A pixel does NOT contain
the same
> amount of information as A dye cloud.  As I said, dye clouds are
variable in
> shape, and a pixel is only a square (or some fixed shape), and the
data in A
> pixel (he said "A") does not represent this shape.

I dare say an individual dye cloud varies in tone as well as shape, if
not color as well.  There are contaminants you know.  There is
obviously no way one pixel could represent an individual dye cloud
with complete accuracy.  One need not be an engineer to understand
this:)  A more interesting question (to me) would be how many pixels
are needed to do the job (per cloud, of course).  Then we would know
the answer to the question, "how many angels can dance on a pixel
describing the head of a needle in the haystack that's lost in the
clouds"....

<bg>

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.