filmscanners: SS4000 - Insight too hot?

I'm using the 4000 for the first time since an initial test to make
sure it worked properly.  I've been trying Insight, Vuescan and
Silverfast 5.1 ai on a Win 98 box.  So far all my scans are color
negs.

I don't really like the Silverfast interface - too many gizmos, and
the one scan I tried so far wasn't encouraging.  If Silverfast would
simplify the interface and allow ai to output hi-bit I would be more
interested.  As it is, I don't think I'm going to be using it unless
it works better for chromes.

Anyway, I'm posting to get others impressions about something I'm been
seeing with Insight - too much saturation, a "hot" rendition of
anything I scan.  May look good to some, but it ain't "accurate" -
kind of a Velvia view on everything.  Is there something I can do to
"flatten" the image going in?  I prefer to build up contrast and
saturation in Photoshop as needed instead of the other way round.

BTW, Vuescan is working very well, no complaints there.  Just
wondering if I can get up to speed with Insight too.

Thanks,
Dave King

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.