Re: filmscanners: About 12 or 16 bits

It's my understanding that there are only two recognized TIF formats, one for 24-bit data and one for 48-bit data.  So a scanner that outputs 36-bit data is going to actually give you a 48-bit TIF file, since the data won't fit into the 24-bit format.  It would be nice if a standard existed for 36-bit TIF files since your scanner's 36-bit data would fit perfectly into such a file and the resulting file would take up less room in memory, or on disc, than does a 48-bit file.  But if you create a new standard TIF format for 36-bit data, then someone else is going to want one for 42-bit data, or 64-bit data, etc., and the number of formats would never end.  My comments should be in agreement with the other comments you've received.