Re: filmscanners: Minolta Scan Multi Pro Manual URL

I am in the midst of doing some A:B scanner comparisons, and I've got to
say that I give anyone who can figure out a fully generic method to do
this a lot of credit.

I find I'm dealing with different resolutions, different software
interfaces, different methods of profiling the films, different
saturations, color renditions, and probably half a dozen other variables
that make the whole process rather impossible to control.

And beyond that, each scanner reacts differently based upon the film
type and subject matter.

   I've come to the conclusion that all I can do is try to get the "best
scan" I know how (including Photoshop manipulation) and then look at the
results and try to make an evaluation.

I recognize this is very subjective, both in terms of my abilities
within PS, and how I see the results, which wouldn't be too satisfying
if I was attempting to report my results to others (I'm not).

I've decided that, similar to benchmark results of computer hardware, a
scanner company can try to make their scanner hardware/software combo
produce a scan that for the "average image" seems to "look the best",
which might not in fact be the best method of processing the image, or
the company might attempt to produce the most "usable" image (which may
not look the best, but might have more info in it with proper
manipulation) but probably not both.

As a result, I'm beginning to realize that just looking at the output
file may only tell part of the story, at best.

Art

Bernhard Ess wrote:

> [...]

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.