Re: filmscanners: Minolta Scan Multi Pro REVIEW???

I also feel the Imaging Resource scanner reviews are weak. The scanner
operator seems to have no consistent methodology, no particular depth of
understanding of how features relate to performance, 'corrections' or
adjustments are performed with the scanner interface that make no sense from
the standpoint of obtaining good results, no sort of reference scans are
provided, the images look kind of bad, so much so that it would be hard to
judge a good scan.

Compounding matters is the nature of the market environment: consumers have
little to no leverage, so reviewing style and content is driven by an odd
combination of purveyors advertising money and those who pursue it. This
gives the content the funny quality of mostly representing purveyors
concerns, yet in a fashion that purveyors often don't like. Purveyor
motivation is low and participation driven only by the concern to match the
presence of any competitors in the forum.

Independent labs are the way to go for consumer oriented reviews. But who
will fund and run them?

And there is some kind of weird market pressure at work even in the
"publicly funded" forums.

Consumer Reports has begun to look like a catalog/lifestyle magazine.
They've taken to superficially comparing such segments as luxury compact
sports wagons, and other essentials of modern life. "The ride was firm with
a pronounced rocking when fully loaded" and other important details are
reported. The Mark 9 has strong acceleration and lively handling. Or "189
home theatre speakers compared!" "The Panasonic XQJ-37 was a best buy!" by
often arbitrary criteria. It sounded rich and filling, with a creamy center.

Over the last 10 years, public broadcasting in the USA has started to look
like every other corporate lifestyle brand: "If PBS doesn't feed to the head
of your child, who will?" we're admonished at regular intervals, provided
with the generous support of Exxon and ADM. Then it's on to Antiques
Roadshow to review some 'older' products.

Our culture is weird.

Wire

on 10/24/01 5:25 PM, markthomasz@ozemail.com.au at
markthomasz@ozemail.com.au wrote:

> Thanks for that Petru - I must have missed that wonderful Tony Sleep
> contribution :)
>
> I too have grave doubts about the Imaging Resource reviews - as Tony says,
> their comments about never having seen a >2800 dpi scanner and the fact that

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.