RE: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Re: Hello, thanks, and more.

> Strictly speaking decimation means remove 1 in 10 hence the "dec" so it's
> definitely NOT the correct term even if some illiterate yank coined the
> phrase.
> ;-)

Strictly speaking, in a normal English conversation (not engineering) you
are entirely correct, sir.

> Personally I use down-sample (and up-sample for the reverse).

Down-sampling is a fine term, but the word decimate is entirely correct in
the DSP world...and is universally understood by people who design digital
imaging systems (and any signal processing/DSP systems for that
matter)...and we are talking about digital imaging systems, aren’t we?

Here’s some info on decimation filters, if you’re interested:

http://www.darkroom.com/MiscDocs/AN9603.pdf
http://www.darkroom.com/MiscDocs/HSP43214.pdf

The first document is a basic guide to digital filtering, and is quite for
those who don’t know anything about digital filtering...and it does have a
section on decimation and interpolation.  The second document is just a
hardware decimation filter...just showing that is what they call it, not a
“down-sampling” filter...I just use the terms, someone else makes them up
;-)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.