filmscanners: Any experience with Vuescan/Linux/SS4000/Adaptec 29160?

I just tried to fire up my new fire-sale SprintScan 4000 connected to
a box with a fancy-pants Adaptec 29160N (used for an LVD internal disk
and now the scanner on the presumably electrically-isolated external
SE narrow-SCSI end of the bus).  The machine is running an
essentially-stock Red Hat 7.1 load, the disk is at ID 0 and the
scanner at 4, the scanner's termination switch is set on, the scanner
is connected with an HD50<->Centronics cable from Hyper Micro...

With a copy of VueScan downloaded last night (so I assume it's
7.1.24), I can get a preview scan, but when I request a full-res scan,
after a report of about 20% completion, the machine just seems to
mostly freeze up.

Any hints?  Could the scanner be monopolizing the bus such that disk
I/O can't occur?  Do I need to rebuild the kernel with some different
SCSI-driver option?  Could the SCSI host adapter not be sensing its
auto-termination needs correctly and be applying termination in the
middle?

My next try was going to be popping in the cheapo Advansys SCSI
adapter which came with the scanner, and seeing if I could get the
scanner working on its own whole separate controller...  Any better
ideas?  Am I doing something stoopid?

Thanks!

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.