Re: filmscanners: Laptop configuration

I use a Firewire hard drive for bulk carriage these days.

It saves stringing network cable all around the house, and is a lot
cheaper than enough wireless network bits and pieces.

I recommend the Maxstor ones, they work fine and have a much smaller
difference in price between the Firewire and equivalent IDE drive.

tscales@attglobal.net (Tom Scales) wrote:

> I scan and edit on different machines, primarily for performance.  The
> machines are connected via a LAN. The scanning machine saves to the hard
> drive of the editing machine, over the LAN.
>
> If you are not connected via a LAN, then you need a way to move large
> (large!) amounts of files between the two machines.  CD-R or CD-RW is
> easiest and cheapest.  Jaz is useful, but expensive. Zip is really too
> small.  I have all three and use the Jaz the most, but at $100 for a 2Gb
> disk, you can't have many.
>
> Tom
>
> > Thanks Bill.
> > Searching for laptop's specifications I just realized that it is
> physically
> > restricted to
> > 192 MB RAM which it already has, so I have no ability to add more.
> > Thus, I thought to use it for scanning only while editing should be
> > held
> by
> > other, more powerful machine (desktop at my work). The problem is how
> > download the images off the laptop (although might be done through the
> > network at the work).
> >
> > Then archiving will not be related to the laptop - desktop will handle
> that
> > issue.
> >
> > Regards, Alex

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.