filmscanners: Laptop configuration

Hi All.
The question is host platform-related which will be supposed to work with
4000 dpi scanner.
I'm planning on SS4000 in some (hopefully near future) which will be
supposed to be controlled by a laptop which also serves as host for image
download.
First of all, the laptop is given me as my work computer so I have not many
choices to play around with his exact configuration, but rather would like
to realize something in regard to his power.
The laptop is of Compaq Pressario series, having Celeron 330 MHz CPU, 192 MB
SDRAM and around 4-6 GB hard disk overall capacity (1 USB port, CD-ROM drive
and floppy are included
of course as standard configuration)
I understand this implies certain restrictions on the connectivity type to
the scanner being able to interface through USB protocol only (neither
IEEE1394, nor SCSI).

Basically I don't intend to use complex image processing, but rather certain
general necessary image correction procedures (like sharp/unshap masking,
dust/scratch off,
rotating and perhaps some kind of basic color corrections) using common
software
like PaintPro or Photoshop.

Do you think this laptop will be able to handle those tasks admirably or
more powerful
CPU is mandatory for that ? There is no question about much more powerful
CPU though,
the only possible option might be some kind of Pentium II (let's say 400
MHz) but with less memory (128 MB). What do you think ?

Bottom line: 330 MHz Celeron CPU + 192 MB SDRAM vs 400 MHz PII + 128 MB
SDRAM ?

The display isn't an issue since for any kind of serious visual work it will
be tied to normal 20" monitor instead of his regular 15" LCD.

Thanks in advance, Alex

Sincerely,
Alex

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.