Re: filmscanners: 4000ED vs. FS-4000 - can you help?

Bill Fernandez wrote:
> BF: One thing about this scanner is that it takes minor surface
> scratches, such as those produced by film processing rollers, and
> turns them into major artifacts in the scans.
What to do, what to do...
Can it be true? I'd like to know if other people also experienced film
scratching with LS-4000ED / IV ED. And Canon FS-4000? Any problems with film
scratching?

> BF: With some of my 20-year old Kodachromes on my new LS-4000ED I
> find that there is noticeable blurring in the corners with the
> default focus point (at the center
And how is that with neg strips in film strip holder?

> >- Is the Dmax of FS-4000 (2,9 according to "Color Foto") sufficient for
> negatives?
>
> BF: I would think that this would be acceptable for most negatives.
I must correct the cited dmax values.
In fact "Color Foto" measured 2,3 for b&w negs (I haven't had the magazine
handy at the time of writing). The values in test were the following:
Canon FS-4000US                                         2,9
Kodak RFS 3600                                           2,5
Nikon Coolscan IV ED (LS 40)                      >3,0 (b&w 2,3)
Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED (LS-4000)   >3,6 (b&w 2,3)

The name of the phenomena responsible for too low b&w dmax is
Callier-Quotient or Q-Factor.

Regards

Tomasz Zakrzewski

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.