Re: filmscanners: Scanning Agfa Scala

Joe

I have used Scala a great deal and it scans superbly.  It is very
unforgiving and exposure needs to be accurate, but when it is right it is
superb, especially when viewed through a projector.  As you say, meter for
the highlights, or at the least the brightest area where you want to see
detail.  I have scanned hundreds of Scala slides on my LS30 and here are
some examples (not the best but OK to see the scanning qualities on a low
level scanner):

http://www.sclamb.com/leica/blackandwhite/pages/Big%20Eyes.htm

http://www.sclamb.com/leica/blackandwhite/pages/Hug.htm

http://www.sclamb.com/leica/blackandwhite/pages/Reading.htm

http://www.sclamb.com/leica/blackandwhite/pages/Someone%20To%20Watch%20Over%
20Me.htm

http://www.sclamb.com/leica/blackandwhite/pages/Laughter.htm

The only drawback to Scala is that it needs to be processed by a lab,
although I did hear from a guy a few months back who had tried processing it
himself with some success.

Give it a shot, it is impressive film and is excellent even when pushed to
1600 (as in the mother and baby image).

Simon

Joe B wrote:

> I'm going to try some of that monochrome slide film called Scala soon, and
> wondered if anyone had tried scanning it. If anyone has, can you give any
advice
> on using it, or report the success they had (or didn't have)? I'm
currently
> using an LS2000 for 35mm. I'm assuming that I set the exposure in the same
way
> as for colour slide film, metering the highlights.
>
> Joe B.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.