RE: filmscanners: Buying a scanner - from the US

Everyone charges duty and VAT, it's just that sometimes if you're lucky
and live in the right part of the UK the postman forgets to collect it!

All the carriers operate a central office charge mechanism and you get the
bill separately rather than having to pay at the door.

If you're patient enough to wait for the post though it has another
advantage, the Post Office charge a smaller fee for customs handling than
the carriers, even if they do remember to collect the cash.

jpgrove@blueyonder.co.uk (James Grove) wrote:

>       I have been following this thread and would like to add that you
> WILL be charged Duty and VAT on these items, Approx 3.2 Percent in Duty
> and then 17.5 Percent in VAT. The only way to avoid this is to have the
> item sent my normal US AirMail, all other carriers UPS,FedEx etc will
> charge you, especially at the moment where ALL goods are being X-Rayed
> to and from the US.
>
> --
> James Grove
> james@jamesgrove.co.uk