Re: filmscanners: Silverfast or Polarscan

A old question is up again: Vuescan contra Silverfast.
Vuescan is a good software , Silverfast is a scanning tool.
If you learn to handle Silverfast and have a calibrated monitor,  know how
to measure  the pre
scanned picture, with black point , gray point and white point ,the
workflow  is faster and the
results better in Silverfast than Vuescan. You need no after work in
Photoshop.
If you use Silverfast: Use the CMS and use Adobe RGB color space. If you not
are using CMS the
red colors are some times over saturated. Use the selective colors
correction and set red against
cyan to about -30. Adjust white point settings to 250 instead of 255. Set
black point to 5 instead of
0. This settings helps against blown out high lights and more information in
the darkest parts of the
scanned picture
Prescan a picture. Try auto correction and see what happens. Measure
black point , gray and white point. Correct colors and scan. This procedure
takes about 5-10 sec.
The auto correction in Silverfast works in the same way as Vuescan does but
you can also use
Siverfast tools to decide colors, contrast, curves and so on, quick and
easy.
Regarding Vuescan: The picture are  often to flat and lack of contrast.
Set gamma low as  1,4 or 1.6. This settings gives you a not so flat picture.
You can also try to set
image brightness in Vuescan from 1  to 0.8 or 0.9. to increase a better
results (regarding flatness in
the picture.) Vuescan software settings seems to work better and more
accurate  with positive film
than negative film. Tests I have done with slides are generally excellent
Conclusion: All scanner software works and calculate a pre scanned picture
in a almost the same
way. Nikonscan and Silverfast has auto function and the auto calculation are
good as Vuescan.
If Im not are scanning a raw file to Photoshop,  Silverfast is  IMO the
ultimate choice of a  scanner
softwareup today.
Best regards Mikael Risedal