RE: filmscanners: Nikon Scan & VS Negative dynamic range

Alex - glad it helped - I was beginning to wonder if anyone read any of this.

About the combing, are you using 12-bit?  I always scan in 12-bit and I
have not noticed this being a problem except for outrageous manipulations
(which I must admit I seem to need too much of the time).  I presume you do
this too.  If some of yours only cover half the histogram range then things
are getting squeezed a bit.

I agree it would be nice to get more control over scan contrast, but AFAIK
there is absolutely no way of setting the white and black points to 0 which
is really what we want to do.  Pre-scan I mean, not post-processing.

I wrote to Nikon about this, they (Nikon USA) directed me to Australia
Nikon, who won't answer my emails.  Surprise!

Julian

At 18:56 24/09/01, you wrote:
>Julian,
>
>thanks for the VERY useful information - I had missed this contrast setting,
>too. This is really a saver on most images, and I find that it also
>definitely improves color balance, not only contrast. The only drawback is
>that often the resulting histogram is very narrow (sometimes it covers only
>about half the available range), and so you get the infamous combing as soon
>as you touch levels or curves to increase the contrast a bit. I'd really
>like to have a continuous control, rather than three fixed values, for
>contrast. There is, of course, the "Contrast" slider, but I understand from
>your post that this is just another post-scan tool, and therefore not as
>effective.
>
>Alex Pardi

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.