From: Julian Robinson [mailto:jrobinso@pcug.org.au]
Sent: venerdì 7 settembre 2001 06.44
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Nikon Scan & VS Negative dynamic range

OK mystery solved at last.  I looked at the manual for the first time
(which must say something about ease of use of NS3.1!) and there it is -
"Lo-contrast" is a facility only available on the LS2000 and the LS30.  I
attach the relevant page so that you can see (as a GIF 30k, I hope this
doesn't exceed our list limit but I am sure it'll be chopped into bits and
dropped into the sinners bin if so) .

<snip>

Incidentally, the manual also includes an excellently informative flow
chart (p109) to show where different bits of processing are done, something
I always wanted in the LS2000 manual, and something I never understood till
now.  This shows that the only adjustments that take effect at the scan
level (as opposed to post-processing) are Scanner Extras functions, ICE and
Analogue gain.  Of these the only ones which affect exposure are 'Analogue
gain' and 'prescan lo-contrast' so these are two very important
functions.  To lose the latter with the recent scanners is a bad move IMHO
and means - use Vuescan.  Unless there is something I've missed.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.