re: filmscanners: Washed out sky/Vuescan

What part of the instructions do you find confusing?

 >>  I find the instructions very confusing.

What type of scene are you trying to scan?  Different scenes with dominate
colors can require different settings within vuescan.  I've almost always had
trouble with grass scenes myself.

 >>  My difficulty is that the colors
 >>  seem
 >>  somewhat washed out, especially blue sky.  I'm using a Mac and scanning
 >>  slides.   I'm not sure what my color settings should be, but I've set it
 >>  on:

White balance is generally the best, also try autolevels.  On my Scanwit
autolevels is nearly always better.  Occassionally you will have to try nuetral
and make an adjustment in photoshop.

 >>  White Balance

Your black point is a BIG reason your image is washed out, If you set your
region to maximum and your black point to .1 or so the edge of the frame will
be taken to nearly 0 which _almost_ always is darker than any portion of your
image.  This will bring some saturation and contrast into your image.

 >>  Auto Blackpoint on
 >>  Black Point 0

The white point is likely too high for the scene, I often use bellow .1 and
often .001 for the white point.  If you have used LEVELS in photoshop white
point is similar, but not exact, to move the white point triangle on levels to
the left, it extends the RGB values closer to 255,255,255 and can cause a wash
out if set to low.

 >>  White Point 0.5

Adobe RGB has less saturation than some other spaces, but is considered a good
editing space for images as it is sufficiently large to contain most of the
colors in real life captured by film.

 >>  Color Space Adobe RGB

This setting is likely fine, If you are scanning neg film try going to 1.4

 >>  Gamma 1.8

1 is standard, it boosts more of the 1/4 or so shadows in scans, used mostly
for bringing up harse shadows from full sunlight.

 >>  Image Brightness 1

Automask isn't where you want to mess around with now, it's function is to
compute the removal of the orange mask of the film more than the balance of the
scene.  If you are using slides, it's a moot point.

 >>  I've tried it both with and without Auto Mask

 >>  Would appreciate suggestions

 >>  Martin

Epson Inkjet Printer FAQ: http://welcome.to/epson-inkjet

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.