Re: filmscanners: NIKON LS 4000 AND D1X

--- Pat Perez <patdperez@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Keep in mind that just because a sensor is smaller
> than 24x36mm doesn't make your lenses obsolete. It
> makes them telephoto, and comparatively high speed at
> that. The 200 f2.8 might end up a 300 2.8, which can
> costs thousands of dollars. It is all in how one lloks
> at it. If I were a sports or nature photographer, I
> think I'd be in hog heaven with the magnification
> factor.

Or another way to look at it is that you just crop the inner part of a
35mm frame. In other words, you are using just parts of what your 35mm
lens covers. That means you have lots of glass (the area increases with
the square of the radius) that you waste.
There is one good thing about that tough. The CCD require that the rays
come in at 90 degrees. Especially with a wide angle lens the exposure
rate would depend on the distance from the middle point. I have to
admit that I don't know how bad that effect is, though. Also I believe
that lens design can compensate for it somehow. And if not you can
still do it electronically. Assuming that the most important object is
somewhere around the middle that shouldn't be too bad.

Robert