Re: filmscanners: brandnew user queries

David--

Sounds like you're on the right track.  Here are some further thoughts:

(1) Store your slides in an airtight container with a dehydrating
agent to keep fungus off the slides. Packets of silica gel is
traditional, zeolite is the new rage  (you can buy this in bulk at
aquarium supply shops. It's beginning to replace activated charcoal
in water filters).

(2) Anti-static brush:  I use the SW-030 StaticWisk from Kinetronics.
It's a flat, natural bristle brush with a molded-lastic handle (the
handle is conductive plastic, so it bleeds off static electricity
through your body).  There's a fancier style that uses a tiny bit of
barely radioactive material (polonium?) that I recall is supposed to
actually attract the dust to the brush.  Don't remember the brand
name.

(3) I use Falcon brand Dust Off.  They're much cheaper at Costco then
office supply warehouses.  Be careful not to shake or tip the can
before using it (otherwise you'll end up spraying something whitish
that coats the film).  Also spray a light jet to clear the nozzle
before blowing off your film.  I've heard rumor that these canned air
products might not be good for film, but so far I've had no visible
problem.

(4) I strongly suggest your next purchase be a monitor calibrator and
profiler, such as the Color Spyder (hardware) with PhotoCal
(software) from ColorVision.  (Yes, I'm one of those who buys into
the ColorSync/ICC profiling theory of color management).  This is so
that you can review your scans on the monitor, make any adjustments
and rescans, then be reasonably confident that you've gotten
satisfactory data and that in the future when you have a bigger
monitor and a color printer that what you see or print will be
reasonably close to what you saw months or years earlier when you
scanned the film.

(5) Similarly, I recommend that (if the SS4000 doesn't come with
them) that you generate and use ColorSync/ICC profiles for each of
the film types you scan.  You do this using two Q-60 targets from
Kodak, one for all the various types of Ektachrome, and the other for
all the various speeds of Kodachrome.  If these don't come with your
scanner they're a real pain to find, so here's how to buy them: (a)
go to ftp://ftplkodak.com/GASTDS/ and download the file
"techinfo.pdf"  This should tell you how to call Kodak to order them.
Note that even though this tech note only mentions the Ektachrome
versions, I understand there's a Kodachrome version as well.

(6) No matter how good your scans are, DON'T throw away your original
slides!  I've been scanning a lot of Kodachrome 64 slides on a Nikon
LS4000 ED and when I compare the (good) scans to what I see under
magnification on a light table there's clearly a lot of information
on the film that's not getting into the scan.

Good luck and have fun!

--Bill

--

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com