Re: filmscanners: Stealing images

"Anthony Atkielski" <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Javascript is usually client-side, too, although it can be used on either
side.

Good grief.  Just about every ASP file written depends on javascript.
For what it's worth, the code I mentioned IS javascript but it seems
to have been more important to figure out whether I used the right
word than whether the idea of a little simple image protection might
be worthwhile.  I will not respond to any further discussion on that
topic.

> Anyway, all you have to do is turn off Java or Javascript to get past
things
> like this.  Some surfers, including myself, have these turned off by
default for
> security reasons.  If the display of your image depends on Java or
Javascript,
> and your visitor doesn't have it, chances are he will simply leave the
site
> rather than try to find a way to see your image.

Then it's "his" loss.  The code I'm talking about doesn't determine whether
the
image is displayed.  It just intercepts the right mouse click to make it a
little
harder for people to steal images without permission.  I thought it might be
useful idea for others who are scanning their photos to put them on the web.
The other two things I've been doing consist of watermarking large images
(the facility is built into PSP 7) and putting on a copyright notice.

None of this stops anyone from taking data if they want to, but it at least
gives
the owner more of a leg to stand on if it comes to an argument over
ownership.

Obscanning: My standard procedure for scanning is now to scan a film as soon
as I can after I take it.  The filename is based on the date in reverse date
order
and a sequence number and frame number.  I save it as an LZW TIFF raw file
and crop file.  The I make a 1024x768 jpeg with copyright notice and
watermark,
and a 300x200 jpeg for a "thumbnail".  I write the raw files and crop files
different CDRs with the jpegs if possible for easy identification.  The CDR
is
named the same way as the film.  Hopefully a naming convention which is
logical to me but doesn't give away the content is less of an invitation for
theft than "mona_lisa.jpg" - especially via search engines. :)

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.