RE: filmscanners: Importance of Copyright on Images

>I was speaking of average resolutions, and not maximum resolutions

Average versus maximum for whom.  For me, 1600 x 1200 is my maximum
resolution that I can get on a majority of my monitors with 1024 x 768 and
1152 x 864 being the average resolutions that I can get from among all the
possible available resolutions.  The 1024 X 768 being the resolution that
has the average usage in terms of all the actually used resolutions.

I think my observation is very germane; it is your statement that was not
very precise.  You never said that average and maximum resolutions referred
to *usage* and by *web surfers only* until this post.  How am I or any one
else suppose to know what you meant to say but left unstated.

>Currently, most people surfing the Web have their screens set to 800x600,
with
>1024x768 running a moderately close second, and 640x480 a much more distant
>third.

I am not even going to ask for the source of this statistic.  However, any
determination of average resolution would be dependent on how one defines
ones sample.  Are we talking about a world wide sample or a North American
Sample or...?  And Why have you arbitrarily restricted it to people surfing
the web?  In the US and quite probably in North America in general, sales of
17" monitors are far greater than those of 14 and 15 inch monitors with 19"
monitor sales trailing close behind the 17" ones.  All are capable with the
newer video cards of resolutions greater than 800 x 600.  Since most users
of the 17" and above monitors have newer higher resolution cards, I would
assume that they are using higher resolutions for those monitors on or off
the WEB.  Many systems which have 17" or above monitors and the newer video
cards are work stations that may not be connected to the internet/web at
all; and other may be used by people who do not "surf the web" whatever you
define that as being.  I do not surf the web although I do use the internet
and do go to specific sites from time to time as the need arises, I use dual
monitors 17" or bigger on each of two systems at resolutions of 1024X768 and
higher, would I be included or excluded from your sample based on some
arbitrary definition of surfing the web?