RE: filmscanners: Importance of Copyright on Images

>I'm not so sure.  My impression is that stealing images is the rule on the
Web,
rather than the exception.

This is a little ambiguous; what aren't you sure of?  Are you uncertain that
is its mostly teenagers and laypersons who are stealing low resolution
thumbnail images; or are unsure that one will probably not be able to
educate or stop them? There is a lot of theft of images taking place on the
web just as their is a lot of theft of written materials ( did you know that
emails to lists are considered protected materials so technically you cannot
dupplicate them in their entirety without permission of the creator of
them). However, I doubt if the majority of it is being done knowingly by
commercial image users or for commercial use.  I suppose that technically
just merely downloading an image to one's monitor for previewing is a form
of reproduction and duplication; but I understand your point.  I just doubt
that much of the copying that you are referring to is being done
commercially by professionals in the industries that make commercial use of
imaging which is not to say that there is none or little of it going on -
what goes on no matter how small is significant when it is being done
commercially as opposed to for personal purposes.

>Personal reproduction is generally prohibited....

Technically correct, I should have been more clear here in what I meant.
When I said "mostly" I probably should have said "practically speaking."