Re: filmscanners: Selecting a scanner

on 9/7/01 7:16 PM, Jack Phipps at JPhipps@asf.com wrote:

> Hi John--
> Most people on the list know I work for Applied Science Fiction (the
> developer of the Digital ICE products like Digital ICE, Digital ROC and
> Digital GEM) and I am biased. Regardless, I wouldn't consider a scanner that
> didn't have Digital ICE for eliminating surface defects from film. I do a
> lot of scanning myself and getting a defect free scan is tedious! I don't
> have to worry about additional damage by agressive cleaning.
>
> Digital ICE will correct for dust, scratches (as long as they don't
> penetrate the emulsion) and even defects in the film. The least expensive
> scanner that I know of with Digital ICE is the Acer 2740S. You should be
> able to find on for around $450 US or so. Both Nikon and Minolta make
> relatively inexpensive models as well.
>
> I haven't heard of any recent problems with stepper motors on Nikons, maybe
> others on the list can comment. Good luck in your search.
>
> Jack Phipps
> Applied Science Fiction

FWIW I scan thousands of images a year on a Polaroid SS4000 with no dust
removal and the only problems I ever have are on shitty lab-processed C41
and occasionally E6. My own negs are almost totally dust free. I am not a
particularly careful worker. Why C41 labs, even expensive custom ones, can't
figure out how to run a clean line is beyond me.

Anyway, ICE isn't a critical feature *at all* IMO.
--
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.