Re: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

Although my experience with European processing is 20 years old, I
received some of the worst processing I ever experienced there.

That included Kodak England, and Agfa Germany and Holland (there were
all slides).  I had one batch, which I had addressed to be processed in
the US (and had paid for postage to there) get diverted to Holland.  I
wasn't aware of this until I looked at the film and couldn't believe my
eyes.  It looked like it had been through a sander.  That's when I
started to look at labels and realized it never made it to the US lab.

Hopefully, things have changed, but knowing how difficult it is even
today, here in Canada and the US to find a reliable lab, I would be very
shy about using one in a country I was traveling through.

Most modern carry on luggage X -ray machines do minimal damage to slower
films, although the damage is cumulative, and if measurable even after
one exposure.  The new machines used for checked luggage can increase
X-Ray levels until they "see through" things.  Sigma (?) advertises a
new leaded bag that they claim protects against even these new X-ray
models.

As someone else mentioned, there is an FAA regulation which requires
hand inspection of film is requested in the US and this reg is also
followed in Canada.  You do have to allow for reasonable time for the
inspection to occur.  In the US I have had my equipment electronically
"sniffed" for residual explosives.

Art

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Why not just get the film developed in Athens and Rome?

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.