RE: filmscanners: Nikon Scan & VS Negative dynamic range

OK mystery solved at last.  I looked at the manual for the first time
(which must say something about ease of use of NS3.1!) and there it is -
"Lo-contrast" is a facility only available on the LS2000 and the LS30.  I
attach the relevant page so that you can see (as a GIF 30k, I hope this
doesn't exceed our list limit but I am sure it'll be chopped into bits and
dropped into the sinners bin if so) .

I cannot understand Nikon not providing this useful tool for the newer
scanners unless they think they have implemented the function better in
some other way.  Without using this, I get blown highlights and black-hole
shadows to such an extent that I use "Lo-cont" all the time.  If you don't
have it, and given that the white and black point settings mentioned by Rob
are only post-scanning adjustments, I would not use Nikonscan.  Maybe this
is why I have continued to defend Nikonscan in the face of others' criticism.

Incidentally, the manual also includes an excellently informative flow
chart (p109) to show where different bits of processing are done, something
I always wanted in the LS2000 manual, and something I never understood till
now.  This shows that the only adjustments that take effect at the scan
level (as opposed to post-processing) are Scanner Extras functions, ICE and
Analogue gain.  Of these the only ones which affect exposure are 'Analogue
gain' and 'prescan lo-contrast' so these are two very important
functions.  To lose the latter with the recent scanners is a bad move IMHO
and means - use Vuescan.  Unless there is something I've missed.

BTW we "older scanners" (not sure if you are referring to me or my machine)
do have Analogue gain.  But not of course, ROC and GEM.    Allow me to swap
scanners with you so that you can enjoy the benefits of Lo Contrast.

My apologies Jawed for suggesting that you use this useful facility that
Nikon in their wisdom have chosen not to give to otherwise fortunate owners
of newer scanners.  Ironically on the given manual page, they use as an
example a photo which is practically your moon photo to demonstrate why the
function is useful!

If any Nikon people DO lurk on this list ...  why did you do this?  Maybe
Jack of ASF knows as a result of their liaison with Nikon?

Julian