RE: filmscanners: Nikon Scan & VS Negative dynamic range

Well, I've located the palette you're referring to, but all it has in there
is:

-Strip Film Offset (yes I use the evil strip film adaptor)
-Manual Focus Adjustment
-Scanner Extras - which contains a Calibrate button and a Help button
-Scan Bit Depth

So, no sign of this contrast thingie...

You using a Mac?  You really using 3.1?  It doesn't appear in the manual -
dare I say it!  Care to send a screen dump?  Maybe it understands older
scanners - maybe older scanners don't have Analog Gain so the contrast
thingie is exclusively for them.

Maybe Nikon thought that the Analog Gain palette provided enough control for
the LS40/4000 - how funny that is!

I've just, as a test, set the Master Gain to -2 and then the R, G and B
gains to -1 (i.e. -3 total!!!!) for a frame that features the moon (late 80s
Kodak Gold 200).  Yep, the moon's detail appears - but of course nothing
else does.

Vuescan gets the whole range without me even having to do any tweaking
(actually since I had Color balance set to none the top of the histogram
came out at 198!).

Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.