Re: filmscanners: supra 400

Provia 400F is my standard film these days.  Great colour, good saturation,
terrific scannability.  The only problem is that in bright light I need to stop
down more than I might like (gee, it's too fast - what a shame :-).  For
shooting available light on slides, there's nothing like it.  It's the Tri-X of
slide films.

I had high hopes for Supra 400, and I get very nice chemical prints from it.
But it's hopeless in my LS-4000 due to the grain aliasing.  I shoot a lot of
available-light stuff, so the toe of the curve is very important to me.  Given
that it's impossible to overexpose the shadows in some of the stuff I do, the
only remedy is dragging up the black point in PS and losing a ton of shadow
detail.

Given how good Provia 400F is, how easily it scans, and the fact that slides
are self-proofing, I see no reason to shoot high-speed colour neg any more.

Paul

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.