filmscanners: SS 4000 cleaning of dust (David?)

I'd seen in Polaroid's FAQ's (in the fine print at the bottom of a page
somewhere) that they don't reccomend spraying canned air into the opening of the
SS 4000- I know a lot of people still do it. What's reality on this, David?

With my scanner, two years old, I kid you not, I average 200 to 1000 dust spots
per frame, even on brand new b&w negs from a custom "kid glove" lab that
specializes in reel development. The spots/hairs move around with each frame,
change shape, so they must be specific to frame, not the internal sensors of
scanner. I'd had worse luck with dip and dunk labs.

When I did my own film, I used extra fine water filters  and stored them in a
still air cabinet. And these have almost as many spots on them. And I have an
HEPA air cleaner on 24/7, use a custom anti-stat made cover by a printer cover
maker, and I use an anti static gun and an air compresser on the film. I do live
in a dry climate, but in a rural area.

Any ideas? For my low volume, I've gotten to be an expert spotter.

Let me know if possible, I still have a month of extended warrenty left....

--
Jim Hayes

Digital Surrealism
Images at http://www.jymis.com/~jimhayes