Re: filmscanners: Nikon Super coolscan 4000 Problems

Jawed writes:

> Ah well, it seems the combination of crappy lenses
> in the cameras I've used plus the LS40 means that
> the softening due to ICE I suffer is negligible in
> the grand scheme of things ...

Useful resolution for handheld photographs in 35mm usually tops out around 40-50
lp/mm, because of camera shake, focusing errors, and the like.  The lens can
have an influence, too, and it doesn't have to be a cheap lens; consistently
good performance above 40 lp/mm is hard to come by, and usually requires a very
non-cheap lens.  Finally, the film itself may have trouble recording beyond 60
lp/mm or so.

I use ICE only on color negatives, but I don't notice any obvious softening (on
a LS-2000), and it's much better to have ICE remove the vast number of scratches
and spots that the lab leaves on the negatives than to spend hours in Photoshop
doing that myself.

  -- Anthony

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.